I finished fixing my Unicomp. It works!

I’m not sure it was worth it. Doing the bolt mod was amazingly annoying and time consuming. The hardest part of the whole process was probably attaching the internal components together. The springs for the keys stick out past their barrels. This makes it really hard to screw the differnt plates together without unseating the springs.

I finally did it, though, and wow, it’s great to be back using a mechanical keyboard. It’s really difficult to explain how much more pleasant it is to type on buckling springs than crappy membranes.

One weird thing I did notice from putting the keyboard together: some of the keys would get “stuck”. They wouldn’t trigger unless I completely bottomed the key out. Usually all I’d have to do to fix this is take the key cap off and push it right back on and the whole thing would be right as rain.